Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy Father's Day...atleast this gift can't be taken back!

Why is it that we can always remember the bad, the crappy and often slap to the head WHY memories while why we can NEVER remember the good, the awesome and often blush to the cheeks memories? GRRRR, is this just a shrug and a thought of such is life sort of thing? Who knows...but I do know that this happens to me far to often...one of those memories is when I was 12.

I had been given the assignment to talk in Sacrament Meeting on Father's Day; I was not only nervous but I wasn't sure what to say. I remember telling my Dad that I didn't know what to say...he interrupted this as he wasn't a good Dad. What I really meant was that he was such an amazing Father, he did so much for us, that I didn't even know how to begin telling the congregation that I had the World's Best Dad. I felt so horrible that he took this wrong that it still haunts me to this day! Why do I tell you this...because I am going to give you that talk just 20 years later...okay 21 years later...see I told you I had a bad memory.

I love my Dad...I loved how for Christmas one year we got "The Farming Game" and as we played he explained, literally, how to farm! Did he not realize it was just a game...did we not realize as kids he was explaining life? I loved that he was the ultimate outdoors man...but managed to be the world's biggest republican. I loved that he was a quiet man, but yet always knew what to say. I loved that he was a kid at heart and yet had the work ethic of 5 men. I loved that he called me Anner...I loved that he thought that lifes biggest problems could be solved with two simple things: a Snickers bar and a bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion (don't ask me...ask Lisa). I loved that he tried to be a gourmet cook but really could only make bread and milk...and the occasional bowl of cream of wheat. I loved when went camping, I loved when we went boating, I just loved being together. Thanks Dad...

And now I have an opportunity to see a new Dad, sort-of, working his magic with his kids. Jim doesn't think much of his parenting skills, do they ever? but he is a great Dad. I have often thought that my kids saving grace is their Father. He can explain anything, anyhow, anytime...He can play any sport, do any trick, make any noise. He can rip off any scripture, quote or article, from memory, to the boys regarding any subject at anytime! He is smart, funny, and loving to his children. He is the ultimate example of what a Father should be and he is the ultimate example of a how a Father should be. I love him, his children love him...what else do we need? Thanks Jim...

No comments: