Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Fish Tacos...Nice and Easy, Yummy and So Not..umm, CHEESEY?

Okay so yesterday I was craving, yes CRAVING fish tacos. I know what you are all thinking, and I have to say NO, I am not pregger's...yes Mom, much to your chagrin, I am not pregnant. I just wanted Fish Tacos. So I looked up Fish Taco's on FoodNetwork.com...which by the way is such a great place to get recipes. But the Taco's were so flipping good that I thought I would share the recipe.

* 1 1/2 pounds mahi-mahi filets ( I actually ended up with Ahi Tune steaks...I think they butcher was not paying attention to what I was saying and looking else where...I am just saying!)
* 1 tablespoon of White Cooking Wine
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 lime, quartered
* 12 small corn tortillas, warmed (we used the corn tortillas and also the flour tortillas from Costco...or Marianne's coke hee hee)
* Romaine lettuce, shredded, for garnish
* Pico de Gallo salsa, for garnish (I couldn't find any at the store so I made some myself...tomato's, diced, an onion chopped, some cilantro and fresh garlic and some salt, and a fresh squeezed lime)
* 1 avocado, pitted and cut into thin slices, for garnish
* Sour cream or crema, for garnish
* Mexican mix cheese...not on original recipe but I added because I like cheese

Directions

Pat fish dry and combine in a nonreactive bowl with lime juice and garlic and white cooking wine. Set aside to marinate about 10 to 15 minutes.

When fish is ready, remove it from the marinade, pat dry, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, place fish skin-side down in skillet. Cook until opaque and firm to touch, about 3 minutes per side. **I cooked on the grill until cooked just because I like the flavor of fish from the grill better than cooked in the pan.

Flake the fish, squeeze one of the lime wedges over the top, and toss to coat. To make a taco, stack 2 tortillas on top of each other and fill with fish, lettuce, salsa, a few avocado slices, and a dollop of sour cream. Repeat to make 6 tacos total.

I then had fresh strawberries and cherries on a bowl for dessert. It was SO good and I must toot my horn for a minute. We had invited the Wenzbauer's over for dinner and as they were getting up from the table Steve, my brother-in-law said that those were the best fish tacos he has had since leaving Cabo San Lucas...COOKING MOJO IS BACK!

3 comments:

Tammi said...

Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to try it.

cnfisher01 said...

I love the food network. Do you ever watch "The Next Food Network Star"? I am totally addicted. It doesn't come on until 10:00 Sunday nights. There are repeats throughout the week but I have to see it then. I don't think I am brave enough to try the fish tacos but I am definitely going to try the enchilada sauce.

Nathan Ringger said...

Today Nathan said that he wanted to make these for Mother's Day tomorrow so I had to google your blog and I can't believe it's still alive! Write a new post! 2011 is a long time lady!!!