Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Tribute To The Shopaholic


As many of you may know, Jim's mom, Jolene, passed away this past Monday due to complications from cancer. It has been heart wrenching to watch all of his family start the mourning process...as I know it too well. As I begin my own journey of loss, I feel compelled to write my own obituary for the women that I called Jolene, for the women my children called Nana, for the woman who Jim called Mom.

Mary Jolene Potter died Monday, March 9th due to complications from cancer. She was an amazing lady who loved to shop and those who knew her well, loved to shop with her. I will miss walking into Nordstrom and being greeted by those who knew Jolene well and hearing them ask questions regarding her beautiful grandchildren. I will miss going to movies with Jolene, ever the watcher hardly the critic. I loved going with her because the treat wasn't the ultimate nachos or the endless popcorn bucket or her zip-lock baggy filled with peanut MandM's and sour patch kids that she would get you...no, it was watching her transform into a giddy teenager when the movie was about to begin.

I will miss talking to her regarding the latest Hollywood gossip tidbits or the latest Gospel principle...she knew all of these tidbits and principles, the perfect picture of well rounded. I loved the way she smelled, I can still smell the light blue in the air and hope that it will never fade. I can still hear her voice...to many things rattle around my head but clearly and distinctly I can hear "Love you guys". I will miss her Sunday dinners, "how did she cook that..." is what we would always say as we jumped in our car to drive home after such fine feasts with the left overs in a missed-matched plastic container. I will miss seeing her always manicured toe nails, always in a fire engine red...to match her radiant personality.

I will miss seeing her tip her glasses on her nose, her head tilted down, her beautiful eyes pointed up to make her point or to let you know she was listening. Maybe that is what I will miss the most, the listening. I certainly had my share of ranting and raving and she we always listen, always the quiet listener that I needed. I will miss her excitement on getting ready for another vacation/trip/get away...her excitement of the prospect of some great adventure that awaited her. I will miss her voice; I will just miss her.

I am too young to have already buried a parent, Jim is too...we should be old and gray ourselves when we our parents find their final resting spots, not when we need them still...not when we still see so much life left in them. It is a constant why but with no answer. I love you Jolene, you were amazing, you have shaped and molded my life, I just wish I would have told you sooner.

2 comments:

jaybs said...

Ann and James, My Thoughts and Prayers are with You at this time, you words are full of warmth and no one can ever take away Memories!

My Dad's Family were all Salvationist's and it gives me great comfort how they make reference to Passing as "Promoted to Glory"

John

Bonnie said...

Oh, Ann! What a beautiful tribute. You certainly have brought so much of her to vivid and lovely reality, I feel as if I knew her too. You are a wonderful daughter in law and wife, and I hope you can find comfort and peace right now as you also console Jim and your boys. May the Lord be with you.